Friday, September 29, 2006

Don't blame where you are...

OK. I said I would start to tell about Haiti. I had every intention of doing it starting Wednesday morning. I got up, went to the computer and could not get online. We tried all day and this failue to connect went on until Friday afternoon. I automatically blamed Haiti for being Haiti. I vented my frustration by assuming our inabilty to get on line was due to a lack of some unknown something that was being blocked because "Hey, this is Haiti!"

Things don't always go your way in a place this remote. Technology is wonderful, but entirely dependant on things like electricity. Electricity is not something that can be depended upon in this world because it comes and goes like a breeze. You may be able to make coffee, you may not. You may have a fan to cool you off, you may not. You may be able to see in the dark, you may not. When you can't depend on the basics, how can you take something like technology for granted.

Every day for three days I tried to get online. I plugged it in and unplugged it. I ran diagnostics. I spoke to it. I yelled at it. I told it unkind things. Finally, Friday, I went outside and moved the antenna to the most unlikely position, down instead of up literally. It worked perfectly.

Here is the lesson boys and girls...

Don't sit there and blame where you are for being where you are. It is up to you to do something about your circumstances. Perhaps things aren't working for you because your perspective is wrong and you just haven't realized it yet. Maybe what you think is the correct position is altogether wrong. Maybe you are going to have to get desperate enough to consider doing something completely against what makes sense to you. Maybe that one thing turned upside down is what it is going to take for things to change for the better. It's up to you. If you don't consider your ways you will spend forever blameing where you are for where you've been and you'll go nowhere.

Just something to think about. I have to go because I have work to do. I have to introduce you all to my dear friend Haiti. She's a little ruff around the edges, but she does the best she can. She doesn't mean you any harm, but it will help if your flexible.