Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Right Outside....

News is annoying. I can't deny it. If you watch it for more than 10 minutes you will be totally bummed out. The news can take a faith warrior and turn them into someone who feels hopeless quicker than you can say "where is that happening."

The thing is. We live the news. We live in headline horror on a regular basis. I don't want people to be depressed or discouraged, but I do want them to know what is happening! I especially want them to know what is happening where I live and work. I care a great deal about the people we are called to. I don't want them to die. I don't want their governments to be unstable or be run by dictators, but they are. I live the news so not watching it doesn't really help me. It's there when I go outside or when I speak to my friends living under regimes who use terror as a daily tool. Where injustice is rampant and life is NOT fair.

I don't want people to know about it for MY sake. That doesn't help me at all. What that gets me is a large group of well meaning friends who want me to quit what God has called us to do so I can be safe. That is not what my life is about. So, no. It is not for ME that I want people to know what is happening all around me to the people I love.

I want them to know because I want them to help. I want them to care and I want them to use the faith they have been building up sermon after sermon to utilize the gifts God has given us all. I want them to think that supporting us or figuring out a way to help us in some way is something they can and want to do. Watching the news is pointless if it's purpose is gathering information that saps your faith and strength. It can be useful if you become active with it! If it moves you to respond to it by doing something that causes a positive change in the life of someone who is a victim of today's headlines. In that sense, a world full of bad news becomes a world full of opportunities to put love into action!

Living in the news has taught me that I won't be able to stop every bad thing from happening, but I can have an impact! I choose to have an impact. It may not make headlines, my impact, but it makes a difference in peoples lives and that is why I believe I am on this earth. To spread the truth, hope and reality of Jesus! That means I live in the news and I counteract it with acts of the Love of Jesus. So take that - faith sapping news!