Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Birthday To ... EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!

I am blogging this because I am selfish and I want everyone to be as grossed out as I was. No one wants to suffer alone. Misery loves company, right.

March 15th was Troy's birthday. We were up in Chaing Mai so we had to celebrate there. Most normal people would have wanted to have a nice dinner and a piece of cake, but not my husband. That will never be his style.


He wanted to hit the hawkers and see what he could get on the street. What he found was a goldmine of gross. Here is what he ate for his birthday. Well, at least part of what he ate. Mind you it was his birthday so he wanted me to share it with him. I had one of the worms. That was enough. Happy Birthday!
So those are bamboo worms and a type of roach bug that lives in the rice patties. It is a pest because it ruins the plant and destroys the yield. Someone got the idea that just removing them to protect the rice was a waste of protein I guess. When your hungry you will do just about anything.
I'm never going to be that hungry.
To be fair. There was just a UN summit here in Bangkok and the menu was bugs of all kinds. The world is dealing with food need issues and shortages are a reality in many places. The UN was meeting to discuss options and bugs were one of the options being presented. People need nourishment and they provide it. It seems to make sense, but somehow I keep getting the picture of some guy somewhere yelling "Let them eat bugs!"
No thanks. Really. I'm good.