Friday, February 15, 2008

OH! THANK HEAVEN...

THEY HAVE 7-11!

It was just turning over from Tuesday to Wednesday night. I vaguely realized this as I registered that it was past midnight. We had been in a plane or at an airport since 7:30 a.m Monday morning. We now had our belongings loaded and we were headed to the hotel, which meant headed to bed. I had been up almost the whole trip. I only slept for a short bit on the second flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. I knew I was a little fuzzy on the details as we were driven to the hotel, but I could have sworn I saw a 7-11.


Much to my surprise... I did. I did!


They are everywhere! Here is a shot of one that I thought was appropriate. It shows the store and the vendors that are all up and down all the streets here. It turns out the 7-11 is full of things I don't recognize, but the concept is the same. It has all the things you need at twice the price.
The vendors are the real deal. They have great food at great prices and occassionally they have things that even get Troy excited. Yesterday he bought fried worms. He had already had the fried grashoppers and even he wasn't interested in the fried roaches. Some things you just will just never get past. At least that is what I think now. The best part of the whole transaction was the face of the guy who ws selling them to us. He just stared at him with this incredulous look on his face, like Troy had no idea what he was getting. It was clear what they were, but still he stared.
I have another market story, but it will have to be shared with the adult crowd only. Feel free to e-mail me and I will pass on the tale about Troy, the market lady and some intersting parts of the rooster.